The ‘Cally Gardens’ of today were built 1765-1770 as the walled kitchen garden for Cally House, near Gatehouse of Fleet, Kirkcudbrightshire. Over 1 hectare in size, the area is enclosed by brick walls up to 15ft in height, and would originally have been sub-divided by 2 heated internal walls running east-west across the garden. Of the original buildings, the gardener’s cottage and a large lean-to vinery remain, backing onto potting sheds, fruit store, mushroom house and boiler house.
The 25” to one mile Ordnance Survey map published in 1895 shows the layout of the gardens just before the long deterioration that began with the Great War. Note the internal walls and number of glasshouses.